About Me

I'm Phil! American living in Japan. Teacher. Ex-independent professional wrestler. Student of Japanese. Traveler. Article writer for Mythic Scribes. Also written four manga, novels, and various short stories and poems. For my fantasy-related blog, check out http://www.philipoverbyfantasy.blogspot.jp/.

Categories

Drill Bits: random thoughts, bloggy stuff
Japan Hammer: topics about Japan
Story Time: stories I felt like posting

Sunday, December 12, 2010

2010: Good Riddance with an Axe to the Face

I haven't "blogged" in quite sometime. Guess when I had Myspace I kept up with that stuff more. But since I haven't said much recently, figured I'd do an update. I want to use this blog more for posting random crap, so I'll probably do that more in the future. Anyway, 2010 sucked for the most part, but it had its fair share of decent moments. First, the stuff that sucked:

I've become a raging hypochondriac. If I have any kind of pain, now I think I'm having a heart attack or something else life-threatening. I associate this with my long hiatus from wrestling. When I was wrestling, I'd have constant pains. Head throbbing? That's because I got booted in the face by a 300 pound man. Ribs sore? Well, attribute that to getting cracked with a steel chair. Now that I'm not wrestling, any pain is much more noticeable and worrisome. The kidney stone flare up has caused me to spend almost every weekend since I've returned to Japan at the hospital. However, my stays at the hospital have shown me pros and cons:

Pros:
-Japanese doctors seem to laugh a lot, not sure if that's creepy or good-humor
-I see lots of random weird people in hospitals, like the old woman just meandering about with three or four nurses asking "Where are you going?" or the baby that screams for exactly one hour straight
-Learning that the word "kensai" actually means "examination" and not "cancer" like it sounds

Cons:
-I hate hospitals
-Never get an endoscopy without anesthetics because it feels like someone is ramming a garden hose down your throat or you are being mouth-raped by an octopus
-Having two surgeries for one kidney stone: major suckage

Now the good stuff: I have been to a couple of cool places since returning to Japan, primarily Yokohama, which is really awesome. I hope to go back there really soon. Also, I did National Novel Writing Month for the 3rd year, and successfully completed that. Also good.

I have since realized I like writing comic fantasy a la Terry Pratchett or on the darker side Joe Abercrombie. That seems to be my MO, so I'm going to keep trying to write stuff like that. Anytime I write something serious, I get bored and don't finish it. So no more of that. Aborted novels are reaching the 100s by now.

2011 is going to be a better year I feel. There are some things brewing that are going to change my life in big ways. More details when that comes to fruition. Until then, if you read all this, you have a great attention span.

Sorry, I'm not good at "tweeting."

No comments:

Post a Comment