About Me

I'm Phil! American living in Japan. Teacher. Ex-independent professional wrestler. Student of Japanese. Traveler. Article writer for Mythic Scribes. Also written four manga, novels, and various short stories and poems. For my fantasy-related blog, check out http://www.philipoverbyfantasy.blogspot.jp/.

Categories

Drill Bits: random thoughts, bloggy stuff
Japan Hammer: topics about Japan
Story Time: stories I felt like posting

Thursday, August 25, 2011

National Novel Writing Month: Confessions of a Jobber

It's still several months away, but I've been discussing National Novel Writing Month on the Mythic Scribes forum and it's already got me excited. The last three years I did fantasy stories:

2008: Wall of Dead Unicorns
2009: Kingdom of Buzzards
2010: Drink the Wyvern

All three years I hit the 50,000 word (175 pages?) mark. However, none of these novels are really finished. Because they need heavy, heavy editing.

But that's besides the point. NaNoWriMo is more about challenging myself and hitting a goal than getting something ready to be published. It's fun and uplifting and depressing and soul-destroying all at the same time.

This year I've decided to take a different approach. No fantasy. I'm going to try to write a wrestling story. Yes, that's right. Wrestling.

Tentatively titled, "Confessions of a Jobber," it will be a semi-autobiographical adventure into the weird, wacky world of professional wrestling. It follows an unnamed wrestler (don't know his name yet) that travels all over the world for over 25 years, but never wins a single, solitary match. His goal? To finally just win one match.

Some of the things detailed in this story will take pages from my ACTUAL experiences on the independent scene and years of reading about and watching wrestling.

Things to expect;

1. Being passed over for championships
2. Being a hated heel and getting turned babyface for being too good at it
3. Doing matches he didn't want to do
4. Communication/Miscommunication in the ring
5. Backstage politics
6. Fan clashes
7. Ring rats
8. Dirt sheet writers
9. Rookies/backyarders
10. Kayfabe
11. Masked gimmicks
12. Tag team wrestling
13. Crappy shows
14. Reality vs. wrestling
15. Wrestling a bear

These are some things that will be covered in the book. And I have plenty of source material. This story is entirely FICTIONAL and will only be loosely based on things I've seen and experienced as a pro wrestler.

Coming in November! NaNoWrimo 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment